[Not Really] Sorry.


Monday, June 7, 2010

I Dont' Like to Lose

Nobody likes to lose. Some people are better at it than others. I don't think I'm bad at losing. I'm a good sport when I lose for the most part, at least in games. I can get rather competitive, but if I lose at something I'm not good at, well I don't feel so bad. If I lose at something I'm good at to a shit talker, then I don't take it so well. I usually don't let my competitive side show on games because usually I don't care. In my head I'm mostly competing against myself.

I think people see my competitive side and they don't even know it. It usually shows in my stubbornness. At work, if I fail to do something correctly, it eats at me all day. The next opportunity I get, I try to redeem myself. I don't like to let others do my job or homework. In my mind, the only way to be the best is to do it yourself and learn from your mistakes along the way. That mentality has served me well. Other times it has totally screwed me over. I don't like feeling sub-par in my mind. I have to do it right and do it better than anyone else. If I can't do it better than some, than I gracefully accept my temporary handicap and aspire to be better.

I'm hard on myself sometimes. I don't think a lot of people would know it if they didn't know me well. I try to stay laid back and keep my crazy stubborn side to myself. No one wants to hear about that shit. But I do not enjoy being trumped at something I'm good at and do nothing about it. I don't enjoy being trumped by lazy or incompetent people. I will sometimes go to ridiculous lengths to prove a point or to come out even or on top.

This makes me sound bad like I'm some hyper competitive douchebag. But I've gotten better and have stayed pretty level-headed. I don't say these things thinking I'm unique. There are people who are 40x more competitive than I. And obviously no one likes being beat at something they're good at it.

There is my nerdy Star Trek picture moment :)

1 comment:

KRISTIN BELL said...

Oh tricksy, I feel your competitive pain. My problem is that I really have no talent or skill of any sort....that makes it hard to be competitive. no wonder we are BFF's.....we don't have to compete with each other because we are too busy competing with ourselves ;)